Brilliant duo return for Scorpions
SCUNTHORPE SCORPIONS have started their team building for their 2018 Championship campaign, by bringing back club legend Josh Auty and brilliant young Australian Jake Allen.
27-year-old Auty (who has a Green Sheet average of 6.90) will start his seventh successive season and tenth season in total for Scorpions. He is the club’s all-time record point scorer.
The Yorkshireman is the only man to have won three league championships as a Scorpion, and the loyal club servant has been granted a testimonial meeting at the Eddie Wright Raceway in 2018.
22-year-old Allen (average 6.08) rode in six meetings for Scunthorpe at the end of the 2017 season and proved a fantastic signing, top scoring for Scorpions in four out of six of those appearances.
Scorpions have announced their first two signings hot on the heels of the conclusion of the promoter’s Annual General Meeting, which took place in Tenerife over the weekend.
In a very positive move, fixed nights have been introduced in the two leagues. The top-flight Premiership will be mostly confined to Mondays and Wednesdays, while the Championship will take place on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.
Scunthorpe promoter Rob Godfrey said: “I’m very pleased with the outcome of the AGM. I am going to approach the 2018 season with a strong desire to see a winning team return to Scunthorpe.
“Josh Auty is Josh Auty. He is Mr Scunthorpe and Mr Entertainment, and I can’t think of a rider more deserving of a testimonial meeting. His 2017 season had its ups and downs, but by the end of it, he was back to his usual self.
“I’m also delighted to see Jake Allen back at Scunthorpe. He did a terrific job for us at the end of last season. He’s an intelligent racer, with superb track craft.”
Scorpions will announce further signings in due course.
* Scorpions’ fixtures at the Eddie Wright Raceway will revert to Friday evenings at 7.30pm in 2018.
BRITISH SPEEDWAY AGM SUMMARY:
* AFTER great collaboration between the two leagues, the Premiership race days are fixed for Monday and Wednesday with consideration to Swindon on a number of protected Thursdays. Championship will continue to run on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
* PREMIERSHIP and Championship leagues team points average increased to 42.50.
* LAKESIDE will be joining the Championship with all other teams remaining in their current leagues.
* CHAMPIONSHIP season starts with three League Cup sections: 1) Lakeside, Peterborough, Ipswich 2) Scunthorpe, Sheffield, Redcar, Newcastle 3) Glasgow, Edinburgh, Berwick, Workington.
* KNOCKOUT CUP first round draws for both leagues on a regionalised basis. Scorpions will face either Sheffield or Redcar in the second round.
* TACTICAL SUBS: Black and White double points replaced with tactical substitution permitted in heats 5 to 14 (excluding heat 8) when a team is 6 points or more behind. For clarity there are NO double points.
* BSPA has a strong proposal for the SCB that will significantly reduce false starts, with further details being released after consultation with the SCB.
* SCUNTHORPE asset Josh Auty is a granted a testimonial after celebrating 10 years of service in British Speedway.